Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Let's Talk Fashion

After a fun-filled, jam-packed, last weekend of summer break, the kids and I made the trek back to North Jersey to make final preparations for my first day of school.  I've spent the afternoon attempting to tie up loose ends, but images of my less-than-desirable wardrobe keep forcing their way into my brain.  What does a thirty-something mother of two wear to college?  I want to say it doesn't matter to me what others think...but let's be honest, it always matters to some extent.  I've never been one to go with the flow when it comes to fashion, but I want to feel good about myself as I make this journey.  I have fallen somewhat into the trap that many young mother's fall into over the years.  My appearance has taken a back seat to the business of motherhood.  I can generally pull something together for a special occasion that I feel ok about, but the day-to-day is always tough for me.  I just don't spend money on myself.  I recently purged my wardrobe (among the many things I've donated this summer) and am left with little that I love.  Now that I've purged, I feel an overwhelming desire to replace the old with new and fabulous.  Herein lies the dilemma.  With no money in the budget for a back-to-school makeover for Mom, I have to pull from what I have.  Being the same age of several professors, I find myself wanting to look a bit more professional so as to not feel like a total loser in their presence.  On the other hand, I will be spending most of my time with classmates 10-15 years my junior.  I'm not looking to make friends, but I don't want to be the dorky old lady no one wants to talk to, either.  How do I strike the perfect balance between professional Mom and undergrad student?  Let me know your ideas of the ideal first day of school outfit for this Mom on a Mission: )  Any thrifty people out there with suggestions on how to stretch a buck when creating a wardrobe?  Any crafty mama's know how to make something new and fantastic out of something old and drab?  Let's talk fashion!

5 comments:

  1. I have no fashion advice. But you probably shouldn't worry about it too much. People go back to school at many different ages. I've seen people in their 40's and 50's in some of my college classes. You have a friendly personality too -- I think that you will get along well with fellow students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't go wrong with a nice pair of jeans and a blazer. A good blazer dresses up a pair of jeans nicely. You can swap out camis, tops and tees underneath. The boyfriend blazers are very "in" right now. I'm also a fan of the longer cardigans, which can also be paired with just about anything. I always invest in a good pair of jeans...they are as much a staple these days as a little black dress. I wear my jeans a couple of days before washing them..they last longer that way. Get them in a darker wash and they become more dressed-up. I think the high-waisted wide leg is very flattering as is the classic bootcut. I live in my jeans!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the advice (and encouragement). Could use more suggestions - keep the comments coming: )

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I have to say is remember the non-traditionals at Asbury?! Try not to be like them. Shouldn't be hard for you. You're way cooler than they were. :) That said, at the beginning of the summer, I found two pair of jeans at Kohl's for $16 total. I have no idea if they're in style or not, but they fit and didn't make me look enormous. That's about as good as it gets for me. Cute shoes go a long way for making me feel confident too. I love the way my legs look in platform wedges - again, have no idea if they're still in style or not and they're not comfortable, but I don't remember you saying anything about comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christina - I feel confident in saying I am NOTHING like the non-traditionals at Asbury. I've been sticking to jeans and t's for the most part. Decided I didn't really care after all: ) I've thrown in some cute skirts and a sundress for variety.

    ReplyDelete