Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Butterflies

I feel a little flutter.  It's not about going back to school.  It's not about the business that is getting off to a slow start.  It's about the mini-people who inhabit this tiny apartment with us.  This morning, my preschooler's new teachers-to-be came for a little visit.  They are WONDERFUL!  I couldn't be more pleased.  The young lady, however, became quite clingy and didn't say much.  She is generally so outgoing and silly.  I know she's excited about school, but I see the uncertainty growing in her.  All normal and not a big deal...sort of.  This is her first year of preschool.  She is being thrust into a five day a week program.  Three days are full school days!  That's a lot of school for someone who's never done school before!  Add to that about five hours a week of babysitter time and I fear I may be setting myself up for a disaster!  Deep down, I feel she's ready for more...I think Mom's become somewhat boring to her in the last few months.  I'd like to say I am at least feeling good about the big one's upcoming school year, but alas, I am not.  My 4th grader was diagnosed with Selective Mutism at the age of 3.  He also suffers from OCD and sometimes depression.  He has done remarkably well over the years, mostly due to hard work, therapy, and a diet free of grains, refined sugars, and processed foods.  Something is amiss this summer, however, and the boy's anxiety is through the roof!  Anyone spend a large amount of time with an anxiety-sufferer (particularly someone with OCD)?  It sometimes feels contagious!  His repetitive questions - round and round all day - they make my head spin!  He has made the announcement that he would like to be homeschooled (he was homeschooled for 2nd grade).  Obviously, that can't happen.  His response to my negative reply?  "I won't need you.  You can just tell me what I'm supposed to learn and I'll look it up and teach myself."  Sounds like a great plan, right?  I am now the enemy because I am insisting he give the 4th grade a try: )  So, today I press on ~ head spinning, butterflies, and all.  Tell me about your children and how they handle your absence if you have a full time job.  Have you had preschoolers dive in head first to a full day program in their first year of school?  How did it work for your family?     

No comments:

Post a Comment