Friday, August 27, 2010

The Cleaning Ritual

I hate cleaning.  I make no apologies.  It's not my thing.  I reluctantly do my best to keep up with day to day housework.  I do laundry and dishes several times daily.  I attempt to pick things up at the end of the day.  Somehow, the place inevitably ends up looking like a war zone.  I've tried enlisting the help of my children.  A daily chore chart, which has worked wonders, has been helpful.  However, I just can't manage to stay on top of it.  So, any time someone is coming over, I spend a frantic day doing the cleaning ritual.  I learned it from my mother.  The house must be spotless before any guests arrive.  I start at one end and clean like a madwoman to the other end of the house.  I neglect my children for most of this day ~ movies, books, ANYTHING to keep them out of my way.  Today was one of those days.  We are not having any type of exciting house guest.  The babysitter is coming.  Yes, the grownups are having a night out on the town!  The prospect of this would be much more exciting had I not exhausted myself for 9 hours today scrubbing the place down.  Is it really necessary for me to do this just because a babysitter will be here?  I tried to tell myself I was not doing it merely for the babysitter.  School starts next week, the kids and I are going away for our last summer hurrah this weekend, and I want to be clean and organized when we return.  This is true, but had the babysitter not been looming on the horizon, I would not have gone so far.  I was just thinking...in two weeks, I will have a babysitter in the house 2 days a week!  Does this mean I have to do the cleaning ritual twice every week?  Is it possible I'll be able to keep the clutter at bay, knowing there will be a regular visitor?  Does it matter as much as I think it matters?  I think I need help!  So, tell me...what do you do?  Do you have a cleaning ritual?  Are you one of "those" people who's home is ALWAYS spotless?  What's your secret?  Do you allow visitors in your clutter?  ENLIGHTEN ME, people!  I need it.     

4 comments:

  1. I was always obsessed with having a clean house especially if I was expecting company. Now that I am in graduate school, I have learned to let that go. It was difficult, and still is at times, but it is necessary. I make sure the house is "clean enough" before company including a clean bathroom and most of the toys are not blocking the walkways. It has been 2 years since I started school, and not one person has commented on my "mess", not even my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm...I too am one who does not choose to do housework over spending time with the kids, going out or inviting friends over for a sociable coffee while the kids play (the coffee for any dads reading this is usually drank over a period of time inbetween assisting the children with any disputes over who is playing with what, helping find or constuct any required toys or children needing the light put in in the bathroom as they can't reach or cleaning up childrens snacks and accidents etc etc)...
    Therefore, no, I'm not one of those people with a spotless house - there are far more interesting things to do and just keeping up with the washing and dishes already consumes enough time. However, I do like the house to be clean (more than tidy) before any 'guests' visit - inviting people over regularly motivates me to keep on top of the house! Cleanliness is more important than tidiness to me...however I think we all have different standards and should take each others houses as we find them - I do find that unintentionally I think how tidy my house is before a visitor depends on how tidy their house is! Not sure that that should be the case however!! As much as I don't like cleaning I still don't want a cleaner - it's my house and I'll have it how I want it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I used to worry about keeping the house clean years ago and if I had to do it all over again, I think I would have eased up a bit, would have spent more time having fun and enjoying life than worrying about what people thought of my house. I still clean before someone comes over, but not as good as I used too. I pick up the clutter, usually by hiding it, removing cat hair from the furniture, the dust bunnies from the floors and clean the bathroom (the one I will allow guests to use). If someone stops by unexpectedly I just tell them that they will have to deal with my mess, I have been too busy being creative and enjoying my life to spend time cleaning the house. I would rather people remember me for what I have created than if my house was clean. I can't afford a house cleaner and wouldn't have one anyways, I would probably worry if the house was clean enough for them to clean, so I will live in my house and if it's messy, well so be it, it just means I enjoyed the day. I am having our weaving study group over to the house on Monday, I should have been cleaning today, but didn't, sat outside and read a book, did some research, ran some errands and just sat and enjoyed the day. Will do some cleaning tomorrow, and a quick pick up on Monday, we are so busy talking and discussing that no one really notices, or at least they are polite enough not to say anything. So no I don't think you are alone and after a few weeks of trying to drive yourself crazy keeping the house clean so that the babysitter doesn't think bad of you, you will hopefully give up and let things slide. School and your family are more important than if the floors have been washed or the clutter has been picked up. Enjoy your life it's the only one you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments and advice!

    ReplyDelete