Saturday, August 28, 2010

lessons on the skating rink floor

I was a competitive figure roller skater from the ripe old age of 2 until around 5. (dramatic pause)  The best part about that line is you think I'm joking...I'm not.  I really did roller skate competitively.  I have pictures to prove it for those who remain skeptical: )  Today, we went to the skating rink.  My 9 year old has only been once before and this was the first for my 3 year old.  I LOVE to skate.  I love to feel the wind in my hair and just go.  Now, my children have apparently not been blessed with my "gift" of ease on wheels.  It was a test of patience to go around that rink at a snails pace with them, falling every 2 seconds.  The big one seemed to be angry about the fact that he couldn't just take off...instead he clung to the wall.  Have you ever watched someone struggle on roller skates?  I realized today - they always move their feet too fast.  It's this crazy, back and forth motion, arms flailing as they desperately try to find balance.  Today's epiphany: if you want to go fast on roller skates, you have to move slowly.  The skating lesson I gave my son was to find his center, concentrate on where he wanted to go, and move his feet in a slow, but controlled way.  As he did this, he found himself moving farther, faster.  He's no expert, but he's making progress.  I often feel discouraged about the lack of forward motion in my life.  Do you ever find yourself flailing and shuffling, trying to find balance, to move ahead, moving your "feet" too fast?  Life is like roller skating!  Find your center, focus on where you want to go, and move yourself in a slow, but controlled way.  Before you know it, you'll be flying around the rink of life; )  Please pardon the extreme cheesiness of this post.  My excuse?  2 hours of sleep last night, a 3 hour drive today, plus 3 hrs of roller skating, followed by a bridal shower.  Wonder how I'll feel about this after a good night's sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment