Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Why a blog?

I used to write. All day, every day. I have journal upon journal filled with the musings of a quirky, artsy, deeply feeling young woman. Upon the birth of my first child in 2000, the entries became less and less. I could barely muster the words to create a shopping list. For the past 10 years, I have been moving in so many directions, caring for my 2 children and my husband, trying to keep myself creative. An actor/singer by trade, I never really intended to give up on my "career" to raise my children. I thought I could have it all. It worked for a little while. But, when child number 1's anxiety disorders took up residence in our home, I realized it was time for me to let go of my own dreams in order to pave the way for the dreams of my children. I've worked from time to time. I could probably count on one hand (well, maybe two) the plays, films, concerts I've performed in during the last 6 years. I resigned myself to teaching and working the hours around family. I was able to be a "stay-at-home" Mom, while working part time. We have never had a babysitter or nanny care for our 2 children (other than the occasional night out). I am grateful for the time I've had with them...I know so many women who long to stay home with their children, but can't. However, the nagging of my inner-creative spirit has grown stronger. Some days, I can hardly hear over it's noise! Now, I have never been the conventional sort of anything...sort of a nerd, but not in the conventional sense. Not a conventional actor, nor a conventional mother. The black sheep of my family, you might say. I often choose to go against the grain. I do not eat, clean, teach, or for that matter do most anything in what most would consider typical fashion. So, why a blog? I thought about a journal, but it seemed a bit archaic. Why now? With my youngest heading to preschool and my sanity heading south for the winter, I have become a woman on a mission. I am ready to contribute to the creative world around me, to contribute financially to my family, to FINALLY finish school and move on to accomplish the things I am meant to accomplish. 9 days from now I will be a full time student. I am currently starting a business teaching music and acting to homeschoolers. I will continue to be an active and present Mom. I will begrudgingly continue to cook and clean: ) So, can a mother bring home the bacon, so to speak, and at the same time be there for her children in the way she was as a stay-at-home Mom? Follow my journey and find out!

3 comments:

  1. I love, love, LOVE the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome!!!! Always have been :)

    ReplyDelete