Monday, January 9, 2012

Superwoman...or not

Another new year has begun, which means another semester of college has ended.  While the challenges I face as a Mom going back to school are many, nothing could have prepared me for this past semester of school.  If my first semester back had been even half as difficult as this one, I don't think I would have continued!  It remains difficult to even think about it, let alone write about it.  While I somehow managed a nearly flawless semester, grade-wise, I must admit that I completely failed in many other ways.  I did not spend anywhere near enough time with my kids.  My relationship with the boy has grown slightly strained (I guess to be expected when your son is 11).  The girl complains often that I don't play with her enough.  This makes me sad.  The man and I rarely see one another.  All of this makes me feel uncomfortable with my self.  I think, however, worst of all is the lack of attention I have paid to my own physical health and well-being.  Never enough time for exercise, too many quick meals that don't comply with my healthy standards, and some definite medical issues needing attention but not getting it combined with an impossible work load, little sleep, and the guilt of not handling it all well have left me in a state of physical and mental exhaustion comparable to no other time in my life.  Stop the presses!  A middle-aged woman is overworked and tired!  (wait, that can't be me...middle aged???)  Obviously, I am not alone in this.  Why do we put ourselves last, even when thinking we are putting ourselves first (going back to school)?  What is this tendency toward guilt us Moms seem to be programmed with?  Why don't we give ourselves the same break we give everyone else?  I think it's time to forgive ourselves and realize that we're not superwomen!  Well, some of us are, but not me...or you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment